Katerva launched in 2011 to drive innovation by connecting innovators, corporations and investors worldwide.
The name Katerva (Ca-tair-vah) comes from the Latin word caterva — meaning “crowd.” It is the global community that makes it possible for us to accomplish our mission.
The primary mechanism Katerva uses to affect its aims is its awards program — arguably the most comprehensive of its kind anywhere in the world. Quoting Reuters, “If the Nobel Society had an award for sustainable innovations, it would resemble the Katerva Awards, an international prize for the most promising ideas and efforts to advance the planet towards sustainability.”
Katerva also leverages its global network to find and scale creative solutions to complex social, economic and environmental challenges. Put simply, we help the global crowd, be they experts or laypeople, old or young, to create the breakthroughs that pull the future forward.
WHO WE ARE - Click/Tap on image to expand.
DISCOVER. INVEST. INNOVATE.
Join our global innovation platform to discover game changing innovations or to promote your solutions to a global market.
Are you looking for innovation?
Do you have an innovation?
Are you looking for Investment Opportunities?
Please contact us to learn more about our services. We look forward to hearing from you.
Call us directly
THE KATERVA AWARDS
For the past decade, we’ve been helping to accelerate ideas that leap efficiency, lifestyle, and create an action that is a generation ahead of current thinking.
To get a sense of some of the amazing things we have come across over the years – many of which have gone to become billion-dollar enterprises – please see below.
A society in which everyone is provided with clean water and safe, nourishing food. This includes projects changing what we eat, how we eat, and how we get our food.
A society in which everyone can live and move freely, safely and pollution-free. This includes buildings, landscapes, materials, and programs that make cities—and living in them—cleaner, more efficient, more beautiful, and more equitable for their citizens. It also covers innovations and efforts leading to safe and accessible, low- or zero-carbon transportation forms and efforts to improve current methods of mass transportation of materials.
A society in which everyone can enjoy clean and sustainable resources and energy. This category includes solar, wind, and any other innovative ideas to create clean power (either for personal use or at a large scale) or new systems for better electricity capture, storage or distribution. It also covers technologies and programs to protect and regenerate forests, oceans, our atmosphere, and other limited environments as well as initiatives to create sustainable land use processes.
A society in which everyone can enjoy a long and healthy life. This includes products and technologies that improve either personal or global well-being and longevity, from apps to devices, to new medical equipment and treatments.
A society in which everyone is able and willing to contribute to society. This category covers all initiatives related to maintaining and improving the quality of life for all people regardless of race, color or creed.
Please click on the thumbnail image for a full list of the Awards winners in each category
What is an Innovation Sprint?
A Katerva Innovation Sprint is a highly structured and intense quest to seek and scale a disruptive solution to a specific social, environmental or business challenge.
What Does the Process Look Like?
Phase 1: Problem Definition through Solution Delivered
Phase 1 begins by working with the client and its partners to define the problem that they’re seeking to address. Once the problem is defined, the focus then shifts to scouring the world in search of new and emerging solutions that either individually or in combination with others could be used to solve the problem. This discovery process is done through a combination of deliberate targeting of key influencers, investors, innovators and experts and wider PR and communication to maximize our audience and the quality of submissions. All submissions go through a thorough vetting process and then are rated and ranked. The most attractive solution providers are invited to pitch their offerings to a curated group of investors and other key stakeholders with a view to attract investment and scale their businesses going forward.
Phase 2: Implementation and Scaling
Phase 2 takes the output of Phase 1 – a small set of solution providers – and hands it off to an investment and impact growth team who are responsible for finding the investment necessary to implement and scale the solution. Like with Phase 1, this work is done in concert with the client and its partners to ensure their needs and interests are central to the process.
A more detailed overview of the Sprint process is as follows:
- Define: A Sprint begins with a clearly defined problem to which no known solution exists yet if one was to be found it would significantly and measurably improve the lives of millions.
- Collaborate: With the problem defined, it’s time to identify and engage key operatives and partner organizations with a shared interest in resolving it.
- Baseline: This stage allows researchers and data analysts to establish context and a knowledge baseline for addressing the problem. This stage matches our researchers, analysts and other Sprint participants with domain and industry professionals, policy professionals, innovators and entrepreneurs for knowledge exchange and exploration of specific areas to probe for solutions and insights into best practice, novel practice, and emergent opportunities that are just beginning to show up on various ‘radars.’
- Discover: This stage allows the Sprint participants to use their baseline understanding, intellectual curiosity, and personal / professional networks to search for solutions that can address the problem directly, or in combination with other potential solutions. This may result in finding a product, tool, application, or approach that already exists, or potentially some promising research that can be translated into an active solution.
- Evaluate: This stage allows us to take all that we have researched, found, and examined and then to narrow the potential list of ideas and solutions. This is done in collaboration with key opinion leaders, market experts, and industry mavens and takes into account overall potential impact, feasibility of implementation, viability of business metrics, and end-user desirability. This part of the process culminates in presentations to an esteemed group of judges who choose the opportunities that move onto the next stage of the process.
- Deliver: Working in partnership with the client and relevant partners, the team assembles the key component parts into a holistic and systemic solution that creates the desired outcome.
- Scale: Working again in partnership with the client and relevant financial partners, this – the seventh and final – stage of the process is focused on (a) determining funding requirements for implementation and scaling; (b) negotiating commercial terms between solution providers and investors; and then helping structure and syndicate any resultant deals. The end goal is societal impact, sustainability, and market appropriate economics.
Recent projects involving members of the Katerva team:
Please click on the links which will take you to the corresponding page. This will open in a new window/tab in your browser.
THE CHALLENGE PROCESS
We’re happy to answer any questions you may have about our services. Please contact us by completing our contact form.
Alternatively, you can get in touch by:
TELEPHONE: +1.619.618.1264 (USA)
+971.50.839.0499 (Middle East and North Africa)
Welcome! We’re keen to learn more about your innovation and the impact it can have. We’re equally keen to introduce your innovation to a global network of corporations, one or more of whom might be looking for exactly what it is you have to offer. A world of opportunity awaits. With that in mind, let’s get started.
To get onto our platform, please answer each of the following questions. Assuming you have most, if not all of the information at hand, this process shouldn’t take you more than 15-20 minutes.
Welcome! Through various levels of partnership, we provide investment partners with exposure to our ecosystem and access to qualified and strategically aligned early-and-growth stage startups.
To learn more about our partnership levels and on how to gain access to bespoke dealflow please contact us.